Greenhouse Co's Frequently Asked Questions
Want to know about our delivery areas, packaging system, potting technique or just what makes Greenhouse Co tick? Here are answers to our most frequently asked questions.
Plant Delivery & Packaging
Where do you deliver?
We deliver to the following metropolitan areas in Australia; Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane & Canberra. We also deliver just outside of Sydney including the Central Coast of NSW, as far south as Wollongong and Bargo, South-West as far as Nattai, West as far as Mount Victoria and Mount Wilson, North West as Far as Mellong and Bucketty and North as far as Wyee, Mannering Park, Gwandelan and Moonee.
Where don’t you deliver?
We currently don’t deliver outside of the areas listed above. This is because the way our packaging works to allow us to send fully potted healthy plants as well as a ceramic pot means they are reasonably large and heavy. Most delivery services charge based on Cubic weight (volume x weight) to transport our parcels to ‘local’ areas i.e. the Central Coast and ‘Metropolitan’ areas i.e. Sydney, then the Suburbs outside of those listed above also incur a distance fee for us to send to these areas, which can make it very expensive.
What if I am outside your delivery area and really want a plant?
If you are outside of these areas and you see a pot or plant that you absolutely must have, get in touch and we can try and work out a way to get them to you for a reasonable cost.
How fast is your delivery?
Our Standard Delivery takes 2 to 4 days from despatch and we are also able to offer Express Delivery within the above NSW areas which only takes 1 to 2 days from despatch. We will make sure your order is fulfilled within 24 hours of receiving it.
How much is delivery?Sydney and Surrounds - Standard Delivery is $12, Express Delivery is $18.
Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane & Canberra - Standard Delivery is $25, unfortunately Express Delivery is not available.
And all orders over $150 will receive Free Standard Delivery 🎉🚚💚
How does ‘Pre-order my Gift’ work?
We run a pre-order my gift policy for special events throughout the year, like Christmas and Valentine's Day. This means you can reserve your gift in advance and relax, knowing it's going to be cared for and beautifully packaged as close as possible to the moment you need to give the gift to a loved one.
Simply select the ‘Pre-order my Gift’ shipping option in the checkout, and we will hand select and care for your plant until the latest possible despatch date. Australia Post will then make sure you receive this awesome little gift just in time for that special upcoming event.
In most cases, you will receive the plant and/or pot within a few days before the event, meaning the plants will remain perfectly healthy in our packaging until the gift giving moment. Just make sure you store them indoors and away from the sun. Our packaging is also designed in such a way, that you will also be able to check on them and give them a splash of water if they look like they need it.
What happens after I place an order?
Here are our steps to getting your beloved plants to you in one piece:
- When you place an order we receive a notification, a lovely little ch-ching sound that makes us jump with joy and feel endless gratitude for our wonderful customers (no jokes, it’s an awesome feeling).
- We will then put your order together, selecting the best plants from our greenhouse, we carefully package your order in our sustainable, fully recyclable packaging.
- Then we jump onto the interwebs and generate a shipping label with the information that you provided us. This will generate a tracking number which we put in a little box below your order and hit the FULFIL button which sends this info to you in an email.
- The following day your order will be collected by Australia Post and delivered to you safe n’ sound!
How do you guarantee my plants arrive fresh and healthy?
Our customised plant transport system (our super awesome packaging) has been designed by horticulturists who know what plants need to support them during transport (i.e. soil). We also time our packing and dispatch so that plants minimise their time in their box. We encourage customers to be available on the day of delivery so that plants aren’t left in an unsuitable location or sent back to the post office.
What’s so special about your packaging?
Well, since you asked, our packaging has been designed to allow us to send your beautiful ceramic pot along with your plant, fully potted, yep in soil, together in the same box.
- No plant stress - Your plant will not have to deal with the stress of being bare rooted for transport (how most plants are sent) and you won’t have to deal with the mess and fuss of potting up your new plant when you receive it.
- No re-potting, your plant will fit your ceramic pot - Your plant will come in its plastic pot which we make sure fits perfectly in whichever ceramic pot you choose.
- Stability support - The plastic pot will be wrapped in a calico bag to keep the soil in place, it will then be tied into a specially designed cardboard insert which will keep it stable and upright throughout its journey. The insert will be glued in place on top of your cardboard wrapped ceramic pot to hold it down and your plant up!
- Fully recyclable - The thing that we’re most proud of is that our packaging is fully recyclable and re-useable so you don’t have to feel bad about generating more packaging waste! In fact you should feel awesome because ordering from us, online, will generate way less emissions than if you were to drive to the nursery to buy a plant. The only plastic you get will be the plastic pot that your plant comes in and these can be re-used or recycled!
Do I need to be available to accept delivery?
Our awesome packaging will keep your plants safe from the elements but if you know that your packages are normally left gets bloody hot, super cold or windy (or if you think someone is likely to steal it) then it’s best if you plant to be around at the time of delivery. This will ensure your plant spends as little time ‘in captivity’ as possible. Plants left on doorsteps for prolonged periods or returned to the post office for more than a few days can impact the freshness of the plant when you take it from its packaging.
Buying a Plant From Greenhouse Co
Do I have to buy a plant AND a pot?
No, we send pots and plants on their own if that is all you’re after. We wanted to provide a service whereby our customers could choose a beautiful healthy plant that they love and a sexy as hell pot to put it in without the hassle of visiting the nursery and trying to find that plant, then a pot that fits it and….you get the point.
So we make sure that whatever plant you choose it fits perfectly in any ceramic pot that you choose, it’s then beautifully packaged and delivered to your door with care instructions!
If I purchase a pot, do you pot the plant for me before it’s sent?
When you order from us, we ensure the plastic pot your plant is delivered in fits snugly inside of (and is concealed by) any ceramic pot that you choose from us. This makes sure there is no mess and no fuss for you and your plant has as little stress as possible.
We think it’s better to keep your plant in the plastic pot because it’s way less stressful to your new plant. This is known as 'double potting' which has a number of benefits:
- It’s easier to water as you can simply take the plastic pot outside to water if need be.
- It increases the life of your beautiful ceramic pots. When your plant baby isn’t such a baby any more and it’s time to pot them into a bigger pot (tear, they grow up so fast!) it’s way easier to do so.
- Because some plants roots will adhere to the side of a ceramic pot it can make it really difficult to get them out without damaging the plant or your pot. Plastic can be squeezed to encourage plants let go and take that next step into plant adulthood, but ceramics can’t.
If I buy more than one plant will they be shipped together?
Our packaging is designed to fit one ceramic pot and one plant or, if you buy only plants we can usually fit two to a box. However we only do this if they will fit without having to bend and break foliage to get them in. We package all our plants with the utmost care so if we have to add an extra box to fit your plants we will, but don’t worry our shipping is still only $12 standard or $18 express.
What if I change my mind, can I return the plant?
Yes, we offer a 14 day returns policy if you change your mind. Please note you will need to pay for the return delivery. Refunds are only given if the plant returns in a re-sellable condition.
Please do not repot your plant until you are certain you want to keep it. We cannot accept returns for plants removed from the plastic pot it arrived in. Thankfully, almost all our plants are immediately loved by their owners and we have had zero returns to date.
What if my plant arrives in poor condition?
Please contact us immediately either via phone or email. Take a picture of the plants condition as soon as you can so we can see for ourselves the condition of the plant on arrival. We will do our utmost to solve the situation positively. Plants almost always arrive fresh and healthy, seriously our packaging is awesome!
I see a plant is out of stock, when you will get more stock?
We stock only the highest quality plants from reliable suppliers. Due to seasonal availability we may not always have all our products in stock. If you are seeking a plant listed as out of stock, please get in touch and we will notify you when it becomes available or we may be able to suggest a suitable alternative, we do know a bit about plants (non-creepy wink!). Most products only remain out of stock for a few days.
Do you do gift cards?
Yes, we do gift cards and gift vouchers! A plant is a great long-lasting (and environmentally sound!) gift idea. As we say, plant a gift on someone you love! A gift card will automatically be included with the purchasers name on it if we see that the billing address is different from the shipping address. If you don’t want this or if you would like a short (our cards don’t have much space) personalised message included please get in touch via email or text asap.
If you can’t decide what to get that special someone we also have ‘gift vouchers’ which allow the recipient to select a plant they like from our online store and redeem their gift voucher in the checkout. We will deliver it direct to their door….Hooray!
How does AfterPay work?
AfterPay allows you to pay for products online in 4 equal monthly repayments. Basically, when you use AfterPay to pay for plants on our website, AfterPay pays us for the product upfront and then you pay AfterPay later. Makes sense? If you make the payments on time then there is no interest charged.
New plant owners
How do I know what plant to buy?
Good question! That really depends on you, the look you’re trying to achieve, the type of plants that you like and the space you are working with. Some indoor plants provide a certain benefit like purifying the air, some flower, some fill certain spaces well and others are just must have plants that look good anywhere!
Mostly, it’s what you like the look of and then see whether it will be suited to where you want to put it We have heaps of information on our plant care page about all the plants that we stock, so you can work out whether the plant that you love will be suitable for your space. Let us just say this; if you love it buy it because…most homes are wonderfully variable places in terms on the microclimates they can provide, so unless you live in a cave you will almost certainly be able to find the perfect place for that special plant. For some further inspiration, follow us on Instagram where we share some amazing gardens and tips on new plants to consider.
How will I know how to care for my plant?
We supply a plant care guide for your plant including watering, position and managing growth along with fertiliser and repotting advice. These guides are also all available on our website for download. We also have a pet horticulturalist who can also help with any specific questions you have so feel free to shoot us a text or call.
About Greenhouse Co
Who is Greenhouse Co?
Greenhouse Co was founded by Josh Douglass a horticulturist who has a passion for creating awesome green spaces and bringing the wilderness indoors. As a growing start-up we want to bring plants to all kinds of plant people, from avid collectors to those wanting to transform their space with greenery and beautiful ceramics.
Plants are easier than you think and with a little bit of knowledge (which we are here to pass on) anyone can grow and care for plants in their home! We want to make it simple for people to enhance their life by being connected with plants.
What is GreenHouse Co all about?
We’re all about these things:
- Sustainability - which is why we have designed fully recycle-able, plastic free packaging;
- Helping you transform your space with beautiful plants and ceramics;
- Encouraging passion for plants by helping you to care for and be successful with your plants – we don’t want you to buy more because you killed the last lot, we want you to buy more because you love them!;
- Collaborating with other small businesses!
Where is Greenhouse Co located?
We do not have a physical store, however our greenhouse is located in the Central Coast. We pack and send all our plants ourselves. We also ensure the plants are of the highest quality before being shipped.